Saturday, October 22, 2011

4 Months

 We've had a bunch of "birthdays" recently- Baby Luke is now 4 months old, Daddy is 32 and Mommy is 31!  Will is just a couple of weeks from officially being 2 1/2.  As always, life has been hectic here, but in a good way.  After 5 long weeks apart, David has finally returned home from Puerto Rico.  He has his first Aircraft Investigation Board under his belt and we are very, very happy to have him back home.

Just after my last post, while David was still gone, Will had a little ear infection.  He woke up screaming from a nap and he was grabbing his ear.  Then he kept taking my hand and putting it on his ear.  I asked if his ear hurt and he kept saying "ear hurt, ear hurt."  Of course, it was almost 5:00 and there was no way I could get him to his pediatrician.  I ended up taking him to an urgent care center not far away so we could get him started on antibiotics.  He eventually calmed down and was acting fairly normally.  But his temperature was 100 so I knew something was going on.  Very long story short, we were able to get to a doctor that night and got him a prescription.  He didn't seem too uncomfortable and his fever was gone a couple of days after being on the antibiotics.  But what a challenge it was to have both boys out for several hours fairly late at night. Will slept just fine that night and I think it was out of pure fatigue from being out and about so late.  Hard to say if I made the right decision to do the urgent care center rather than wait until the next day and try to get into the clinic on base (never a guarantee).  But we got what we needed and he's back to normal.


It just so happened that Will's follow up for his ear infection was scheduled for the same day as Luke's 4 month well baby checkup.  So we spent Monday morning at the pediatrician's office on base.  Little Luke is doing just fine and growing well.  He weighed in at 14 lbs, 12 oz. He is in the 94th percentile for height, the 65th for weight and 57th for head circumference.  Luke is about as long as Will was at 4 months but he weighs less- Will weighed 16 lbs, 3 oz at 4 months.  Luke still seems to be a hearty baby.  He has not rolled yet but is very close.  I think he could if properly motivated.  We are going to be making his first attempt at rice cereal this weekend, though we will take it very slowly like we did with Will.  Also on our agenda is weaning him off of being swaddled while sleeping.  Will hated having his arms pinned down so we never had this issue with him.  But Luke loves being swaddled with his arms firmly pinned to his chest.  The couple of times we've tried to get him to sleep without his arms pinned down haven't gone too well at all.  But once he is rolling he needs to have his arms free.  I think we're in for a little challenge with this one.

Will's checkup went very well.  His ears looked great.  The doctor did a double take when she walked into the room because she didn't think he could be a two-year-old!  I told her he was two and then she mentioned that he must be about to turn three.  Nope.  Just a tall guy.  He does seem to have shot up recently.  He's still only 30 lbs.  He's a skinny little man.  I try to keep him in blueberry muffins (his favorite) but he burns it all off so quickly.  He's officially moved up to a size 7 shoe.  He's in 2T pants and 4T shirts (sometimes 5T if the brand runs small). 

Will was quite a charmer at the appointment too.   Before the doctor came into the exam room, Will was having some trouble resisting the computer mouse and keyboard on the doctor's desk.  I kept telling him "Do not touch the mouse.  The mouse is not a toy."  And he would find something else to play with before trying to touch the mouse again.  Then the doctor came in and sat down at her computer.  Will ran over to her and told her, "No touch mouse.  Not a toy."  He clearly understood the message!

The doctor gave us some Flonase for Will since he has trouble with chronic congestion.  Actually, we've had to mark our Flonase bottles because all three of us are on it.  So much for our allergies improving after leaving Texas.  Luke got his vaccinations and Will got his flu shot so they are all set on their shots.  It was actually a fairly quick and painless morning even though we had two appointments and shots to do.  Much faster than pediatrics in San Antonio.

Because David was gone for so long he got a couple of days of leave this week.  He took Wednesday and Thursday off and we had some good family time.  On Thursday we went to Annapolis to walk around downtown and check out the waterfront.  We had lunch there and had a very nice walk.  We also walked around the Naval Academy campus, which was really beautiful.  We'd like to go back some time since we had to cut that part short because the kids were running out of steam.  It's a really cute area though and Will loved seeing all of the boats.

Today we took the kids to a local farm that does a big pumpkin patch and other fall activities.  We didn't do the hayride or corn maze but Will did get to ride a pony.  He also took a crack at a little John Deere tricycle but his legs were a little too short.  He got to see a large tractor up close, which he loved.  We looked through the pumpkins but there were pretty picked over and the ones that were left were either ugly or rotten.  So we left without a pumpkin. But we already have two on the porch so we may carve one of those.  I think Will enjoyed himself but we went in the afternoon so he was a bit tired.  He had his swimming lesson this morning so I think he was pretty tuckered out.  He wasn't in a bad mood but he would not smile for the camera for anything.  He was very mellow, which usually means he's tired.  When he's well rested, there's not stopping him!  He definitely went to bed early tonight.

His new thing is identifying items that are "not toys."  I realized recently that when he is playing with something he shouldn't be, I would tell him "That's Mommy's" and take it away.  He understood what I meant and he didn't usually put up a fight.  Then it dawned on me that that's probably not a good way to teach sharing if I am constantly taking things away because they are "mine."  So then I started saying "that's not a toy."  Then I take whatever it is away from him.  He understands that message too.  But now he loves to find things around the house that are "not toys" and bring them to me to tell me they are not toys.  Mostly harmless things like a pen or the fly swatter. When he sees me with scissors, he tells me "Scissors cut.  Scissors not toy."  He can be pretty entertaining with his little game.  Sometimes he purposely stands right in front of me and begins to do something he knows he's not supposed to- in super slow motion to give me a chance to tell him not to do it.  For example, I bought him a tiny pumpkin of his own.  He was playing with it and he ran up to me and, in slow motion, pretended like he was going to eat it.  All so I would tell him not to eat the pumpkin- which I did and he thought was hilarious.  He's all about testing boundaries these days.

His manners are also coming along.  He's still a two-year-old but more and more he says please and thank you.  And this morning in the car I sneezed and from the back seat I heard a little "Bless you."  Still not entirely consistent but we're getting there.

Will has also recently gotten into Bob the Builder and Curious George.  He likes watching Bob the Builder and he loves saying the catchphrase- we say "Can we fix it?!" and Will yells "Yes we can!"  Will has several Curious George books and he would occasionally catch the show on PBS Kids.  But then all of the sudden he kept talking about Curious George and when the TV is on, he brings me the remote and says "Curious George."  He still only watches 5-10 minutes of it before he's off playing with something else.  But he loves that little monkey.  He even makes monkey noises and talks about Curious George when he eats bananas!   

Since the last post, Will has done a few of his Jumpbunch classes (loves running with the football and waving pom poms, dislikes yoga poses and stretching).  He is back at the swimming classes now that Daddy is back home.  We've done a few trips to the park and to the library for story time.  He's a busy little man.  It's getting a bit harder to do our morning outings now that Luke is trying to settle into a napping routine.  Luke is not very good at napping "on the go."  He's just about to the point where he's going to consolidate naps into a morning nap and an afternoon nap.  I am concerned that in the near future I'm going to have to choose between staying home and letting Luke have a good nap or going out for Will's activities.  I think Luke getting enough good sleep will have to be the priority and we'll just get out when we can. 

Finally, our big news is that David just got word that he will be promoted to major next year!  It will be about a year from now before he will officially "pin on" major.  But we're still excited that it is official!  It's a well-deserved promotion and we're very proud of him! 



Will saw a school bus parked in our neighborhood during one of our walks.  He was in Heaven and kept asking me to "open door."

This is the face I got when I told Will to smile for the camera.


Daddy and Will on the Annapolis waterfront at the Naval Academy.

Walking on the Naval Academy campus.


Will helping Daddy with the wagon to carry pumpkins.


In between Luke's cat naps.

Despite the sour face he was really excited to see a tractor up close!

Legs not quite long enough.


Piggies up close and personal.

Will wasn't too sure about his horsey.


Me and the boys.


No comments: