Monday, August 18, 2014

First Day of Kindergarten!

  
It's our first official day of homeschool!  I couldn't resist the obligatory first day photos.  We're starting out slowly- trying to get the hang of a routine.  Will is pretty advanced and we have plenty of time, so we're not in a rush.  The kids were up pretty early today (before 6am) so we got started early and were finished before 9:00 am.  We'll gradually increase our time spent on "school" but for now we're not doing more than one to two hours of scheduled "school" work and activities.  Will is a hands-on guy and doesn't like worksheets so our only hiccup today was when I wanted him to do a phonics worksheet.  He didn't complain about the math worksheet but he was definitely more interested in the hands-on activities.  It is not hard to find ways to keep Luke busy while I'm working with Will but it is a little difficult to keep Will focused on his work while Luke is doing something fun across the room.  I think we'll eventually settle into a good groove.  

The boys have a few regular activities lined up for this "school" year.  Will is in a Lego club through a local homeschooling group.  They meet every other week for Lego building challenges.  We'll also do park days and field trips through this group.  After Labor Day the boys will start weekly science classes where they do age-appropriate experiments and activities through a business called 3-2-1 Blast Times.  Will will also begin weekly homeschool P.E. classes at the YMCA where he'll get together with other kids to do sports and other physical activities.  We also will have our Wednesday night activities at church starting up again soon.  We're excited about our year!    

I won't have the time or energy to regularly blog about our homeschooling, but I wanted to commemorate the first day.  


The boys had chocolate donuts with sprinkles to celebrate the first day of school.  And then I was actually able to coax a smile out of Will!

Working on the Shape of the Week

Building our sight words- working on color words this week



Putting together a number puzzle

Free play with the felt board after "School"


No comments: