Saturday, January 24, 2009

25 weeks

We're coming up on 25 weeks and everything is still going well. Baby D has been kicking up a storm- usually while I'm trying to sleep. In fact the other night before we went to bed David was poking the baby to try to get him to start kicking. I told him I thought Baby D was probably asleep because I hadn't felt him move much recently. Baby D didn't seem to want to wake up for David. Then, in the middle of the night, he started jabbing me so hard that it woke me up and he didn't let up for a while. I think it was his way of getting back at us for trying to disrupt his precious sleep!

All of the websites say Baby D should be about a pound and a half by now but we're thinking he's probably closer to two pounds. All of the necessary parts are already formed and now he's just going to be putting on weight until he's born (which makes two of us). Here are some other things he's working on this week:
  • The structure of the spine begins to form
  • Taste buds are forming
  • The hands are fully developed -- fingerprints and all!
  • The blood vessels of the lungs are developing
  • The nostrils are beginning to open.
At 25 weeks, we are just getting into the time when he could probably survive if he were to be born. Obviously, it's way too early and we want to keep him in there as long as possible, but it's nice to know he'd have a good chance if something happened and he was born early. I was actually at a deposition of a neonatologist at the Medical University of South Carolina on Thursday and he was testifying about the chances of survival of a baby born at 27 weeks and some of the health consequences. It was hard to listen as a lawyer and not as a mother-to-be. It's amazing what they can do nowadays for babies born too early.

I had a pretty awful week at work this past week. It was more stressful than usual so by last night I was pretty run down. David and I are relaxing this weekend and taking it easy, though, so I'm hoping this coming week will be better. Between my work schedule and the growing baby I have been extremely tired. Once I get a little closer to May, I may think about cutting back a little at work. Easier said than done though!

Other than being very tired, I feel ok. So far the physical symptoms haven't been too burdensome. I'm getting bigger but it's nothing I can't handle yet. Supposedly my uterus is now the size of a soccer ball. One of the few times I've been thankful to be so tall- I think it's easier to carry this extra weight. I'm starting to have some swelling in my hands and feet, which is annoying, but I've discovered that it goes away when I do my water aerobics classes. There's something about the water that flushes out the extra fluid, so I usually feel pretty good after those classes (just had one this morning). I'm going to try to keep going as much as I can.

Not too much longer and we'll be in the third trimester! I'll try to do a better job updating this as we get closer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Dave being a good husband and doing the water aerobics with you?

I hear poking the husband when the baby pokes is a good habit... regardless of time of day.

Anonymous said...

I want to see some pics of you Christina! I can't see that well out here in Hawaii. :)