Just about 38 weeks now and getting closer and closer to D-day! David and I finally have done most of the important things we were supposed to do before the baby arrives. We have all of the stuff we need, we've visited the hospital for a tour and we've installed the car seat. However, we did just realize today that we have not lined up a pediatrician yet, so we're going to be scrambling tomorrow to do that. The Air Force is supposed to "assign" us a pediatrician but we haven't quite let the Air Force know that I'm pregnant and that the baby will be here probably in the next two weeks! I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow.
One exciting thing we've done is set up the baby's cradle in our bedroom. These pictures are of a cradle that Christina's dad ordered from a man he works with that makes them. It's a beautiful oak cradle and chair attached to a glider. When you sit in the chair, the entire piece glides back and forth. It's very unique. We found a mattress and bedding to fit perfectly...now we just need the baby!
I'm starting to get really uncomfortable. I've been having bad hip pain (which the doctor said is from the baby coming down lower and from my ligaments stretching in preparation for labor). The hip pain has meant some difficulty sleeping. I am definitely ready to have this baby whenever he's ready! At our last appointment we did an ultrasound and they estimated that, as of last week, he was already about 7 pounds, 3 oz. That's just an estimate, but it shouldn't be too far off. We're guessing by the time he get's here, he might be somewhere in the 8 lbs range. I feel like he's about 20 pounds!
This week is my last week officially "at work." David has set me up a really nice home office and I've started transitioning into working from home. My goal was to stay working full time through the end of April, which is Thurs. Starting Friday I'm going to start working hourly from home, which will continue even after we move to Texas in July. I'm really looking forward to it because it will cut out my 1 1/2 hour daily commute and my hike up three flights of stairs to my third-floor office! (Yes, there is an elevator but I'm guessing it was built in the 1920s, is not too reliable and is frankly not worth the risk!)
Yesterday we toured the labor and delivery floor of Summerville Medical Center. It seems very nice and the nurse we spoke with was very helpful. The rooms are pretty large and there is a nice fold-out bed for the dads. The delivery rooms are on one side of the floor, then you move to one of the more permanent rooms on the other side of the floor after you have the baby. We will get to stay with the baby for about an hour after he is born, then they will take him to the nursery for his shots, fingerprints, tests, etc. Once they are done poking and prodding, he will get to stay in the recovery room with us the whole time instead of being in the nursery. The OR for c-sections is right in the middle of the delivery rooms and recovery rooms so there is not far to go if you need a c-section. It's a pretty small hospital but they deliver a lot of babies. It's only a few minutes from our house, so you can't beat that. During our tour I think I did a good job suppressing the medical malpractice lawyer in me so hopefully I won't be too bad a patient once the time comes.
David and I both have our bags packed for the big day. David is taking every electronic gadget we have so hopefully it won't take too long to get the news out. Perhaps even a few quick pictures too! We're even taking a laptop to watch movies on in case I'm one of those people you hear about who have 20 hour labors. David keeps joking that I'll probably pick movies to watch (like chick flicks) that make the labor just as painful for him as it is for me...which is tempting.
We'll keep everyone posted on what's happening. 15 more days until my due date but we're crossing our fingers he's done cooking soon...we're very anxious to meet him!
4 comments:
Very funny (chick flick videos and high tech equipment) The fold out bed sounds like a great idea for the Dad.
Oh man...I remember these last few weeks! They will be over soon. =) I'm looking forward to hearing about your sweet son!!!
The race is officially on. First one out wins a rattle and a bag of diapers.
Trampolines work great by the way.
I love, love, love the cradle!!
Elloree
Post a Comment