Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Merry Christmas #2 and #3

We had a great trip to Indiana for Christmas and New Years. Will was wonderful on the flights and we couldn't have asked for more out of him. Will and I flew, just the two of us, to Evansville on Dec 21st. I was nervous about flying without David and all of the juggling I'd have to do but Will was very cooperative. He even slept for the entire second flight. He was a little cranky when we got to Evansville but he warmed up to the crowd soon enough.

Will had a great time exploring Grandma and Grandpa Crockett's house. He especially loved all of the stairs. Since we do not have stairs in our house here, Will was very excited that he got to play on stairs. We spent hours a day, literally, either going up and down the stairs or trying to keep him from going up and down the stairs.

Will was interested in his cousin, Xander, who was 10 months, but he was a little too wary of him to play. But when Xander was gone, Will would pick up his toys and say, "baby." Maybe next Christmas they will interact more.

On Christmas Eve Will and I drove to Georgetown to meet up with David at David's parents' house. David flew into Louisville on Christmas Eve since he had to work until the 23rd. We went to St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Louisville, where Grandma Dickinson plays the organ, for Christmas Eve services. Will participated in the children's parade with the figurines that belong in the creche. He carried the camel and marched around the sanctuary. When it came time to put his camel in the manger scene, however, he decided he wanted to hang on to it. I finally got him to put it down and he picked up another animal. He was upset that he couldn't play with the figurines. He got upset and we decided that it was a perfect time to take him to the nursery to play. After church we went out to dinner and made it home just before a big snowfall. It was Will's first white Christmas! He did not play in the snow, however. He's more of a warm-weather boy.

On Christmas Will got to celebrate two more rounds of gifts. He ended up with quite a bit of loot. The Christmas photos below are all at Grandma and Grandpa Dickinson's house. On Christmas afternoon we traveled back to Evansville for a couple more days. David and I even made it up to Bloomington one evening for an IU basketball game, which we loved even though IU lost. After spending a few more days back in Georgetown, it was time to come home. We made it home on January 1st. Again, Will was fairly well-behaved on the flights home. We discoverd the secret of successful air travel with Will - Mega Blocks, Elmo DVDs and Hershey Kisses! As long as those three were around, Will was a happy boy.

Unfortunately, all of the Hersheys taught Will a new word- "Kisses." When we were finally home, he would run through the house to the pantry yelling "Kisses." As of today, the Kisses have finally run out. Will is certainly a Hershey's fan! Ironically, he rarely said the word "kiss" all the times I've kissed him and said "kiss kiss." But as soon as it was associated with chocolate...he's on it! As for other new words, I couldn't possibly list all of the words that are new. It seems like he picks up new words every day. A sampling of what's new includes door, cheese, up, down, truck, Ernie, dinosaur, doctor and many others. He also started saying "Ernie" which at first I assumed meant Ernie from Sesame Street. But I think it is actually his attempt at saying "hungry." Will is also very good at answering questions with "no." It makes it a little easier to figure out what he wants. We usually go through a list until he stops saying no.

Unfortunately, when we returned from Indiana, Will came down with a little cold. He had a nasty cough and wasn't feeling well. He ended up spending a lot of time on my lap watching Elmo. He also wasn't eating as well as he had been. Lately, all he has wanted to eat is fruit. I can't get him to eat anything else. I know it could be worse, but a man can't live on fruit and Hershey Kisses! Some days he'll eat 5 or 6 different kinds of fruit in one day. His favorite, still, is blueberries. He is an animal for blueberries. He even has his own word for blueberries, which sounds nothing like "blueberries", but it's really cute. It has a lot of syllables and a lot of "s" sounds. Occassionally a "b" sound. But I know what it means. Too bad he doesn't quite grasp that fresh blueberries are a little pricey this time of year and we can't eat a bowl of them at every meal! I made him blueberry muffins last night to try to appease him.

On Monday, Will had his first appointment with the dentist. I kept telling him he was going to the teeth doctor, which is when he started saying "doctor." Will did pretty well. He didn't like it but he didn't thrash around or bite anyone. The dentist said his teeth look great- no cavities and good space between his teeth. He has 16 teeth right now and apparently has four more molars to go before he has all of his baby teeth. I asked about the pacifier issue and the dentist said there is no hurry- as long as he gives it up by the time his adult teeth come in. The dental hygienist, however, said he should give it up by age 2. We had planned to take it away when we got home from Indiana but with Will being sick we decided to wait a little longer. Now we're conflicted about when to take it away. Definitely by two but it's really tempting to wait until he gets a little closer to two. He sleeps so well with it! Thoughts?












No comments: