Monday, October 25, 2010

Nature-Lover Will

Will has had another fun week. David and I are still struggling to get healthy but Will is feeling pretty good. Our weather has been really nice so we've spent a lot of time outdoors. This week we've gone to the park, ridden our bike and played outside a lot. Will got a new sand table for the backyard, which he really likes. We just have to teach him to keep the sand in the table and not dump it on the ground. Will and I also go for walks a couple of times a day. He doesn't have much patience for his stroller anymore. I'm lucky if I can keep him in his stroller for 15 or 20 minutes or so. Mostly we go for walks and let Will walk along too. Two or three times a day we walk around the block. Will loves it and it's great for burning up some toddler energy.

One of our walks this week, we walked to the front of the neighborhood where there are large metal sculptures of cattle (this is Texas). Will wanted to check them out so he got a close look. Of course, he pointed at one of them and said "dog!". He also took a seat in the grass to rest his legs. I snapped a couple of pictures on my phone which are below.

Will loves being outside. He is certainly a fellow who likes to stop and smell the roses...literally. Will loves flowers. When we pass flowerbeds, either in someone's yard or at the front entrance, Will always stops to look at and touch the flowers. So far he hasn't tried to pick any. He mostly looks at them and very gently touches them. Also on our walks, Will likes to detour off the sidewalk to peek between the slats of fences. He thinks there's a dog on the other side of every fence. Often there is. Sometimes it's just Will peeking through a fence, barking at nothing.

Around the house, Will has been in a pretty good mood this week. I made good on my promise to put him to work cleaning. I gave him a clean duster and showed him how to dust furniture. He started out well, dusting the table at the entry way and the dining room chairs. But then he started dusting walls, doors, the empty laundry basket and even the dog. He also tries to "help" me push the vacuum but he really gets in the way so I have to wait until he's in bed to vacuum.

Over the last month or so, Will has become increasingly sensitive when disciplined. It used to go in one ear and out the other when we'd tell him "no". Now, every single time we tell him "no" or stop him from doing something, it's the same routine- he stares at us with his huge blue eyes, he sticks his lower lip out then he starts moaning. Then he starts crying and runs to us for a hug. It never fails. Most of the time it seems to be more than him being frustrated because he can't do something he wants to do; most of the time it really seems like his feelings are hurt. Such a sensitive boy! We don't lay off the discipline when he's doing something he shouldn't be, but sometimes it's heartbreaking when he takes it so hard. But, he's turned into a climber- trying to climb on everything, so sometimes we just have to tell him no.

Another habit I'm trying to break is Will wanting to be picked up several times a day. And by several times I mean 20-30 times a day Will wants me to pick him up. Sometimes it's just for a second or two. Sometimes he wants me to carry him around all day. Now that he's getting heavier, it's harder and harder to pick him up that many times. I'm working on substituting a pat on the head for actually picking him up.

Not too many new words. He now often says "home" when we pull in the driveway. I've heard "mail" and "bath" a couple of times. As always, he continues to amaze me with what he understands. For example, today I told him, "go get your shoes and we'll go bye-bye". He went to his room and started reaching toward the top of his dresser, where his shoes were. I put his shoes on him, then he went to the front door. Also- much to my delight- Will has started "reading" his books. He'll pick his favorites, find a place to sit, and babble as he turns the pages. He even knows where to make certain noises in some books. For example, he knows on which page in his Doggies book he is supposed to howl and he howls! He also knows the page in his Winnie the Pooh book that he's supposed to turn the book upside down (it's part of the story).

In other "smart-boy" news, Will has fully mastered his shape-sorter, even the difficult shapes. He has amazing fine motor skills and often surprises me with what he can do. For a few weeks now he's been using utensils and tonight at dinner, he wanted to try using an "adult" fork and he was actually able to get the food on the fork and to his mouth a few times. He can feed himself with a spoon but I usually help to keep the mess to a minimum and to get most of the food in his mouth. When I feed him, I usually give him a spoon and I use a spoon so that we're both feeding him. That way he gets enough to eat but he still gets to practice.

Coming up this week, we have playgroup at our house on Wednesday. We might try to get one last trip to the pool (it's in the 90s for the next few days). Then this weekend, Will is going to try his hand at Trick-or-Treating. He is going as Tigger this year. We're hoping he'll keep his costume on long enough for some pictures. When we tried the costume on him, he didn't like the hood. Hopefully I'll have some cute pictures to come!







No comments: